How to cook sweet and sour shrimp recipe? Here is a simple and easy recipe. You can make it in Chinese and also in stir-fry, which is very popular. Let’s see how to make sweet and sour shrimp.
- Chicken Stock or Water – 6 tablespoons
- Ketchup – 3 tablespoons
- Sugar – 3 tablespoons
- Pineapple or Orange juice – 3 tablespoons
- Vinegar – 2 tablespoons
- Soy Sauce – 2 teaspoons
- Red Pepper Flakes, crushed – 3/4 teaspoon
- Cornstarch – 2 teaspoons
- Shrimp – 1 pound
- Ginger, minced – 2 teaspoons
- Garlic, minced – 2 teaspoons
- Peanut or Vegetable Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Onions, thinly sliced – 1 cup
- Green Bell Peppers – 1 cup 1-inch chunks
- Pineapple Chunks – 1 cup
- Maraschino Cherries – 12
- Green Onions, thinly sliced – 6 tablespoons
- Hot white rice, accompaniment
- To make the sauce, combine 1/4 cup of stock, sugar, juice, vinegar, soy, the ketchup and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper flakes in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the cornstarch with the remaining 2 tablespoons of stock in a small bowl and stir to dissolve. Set aside.
- Toss the shrimp with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic in a bowl. Set aside for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Over high-temperature heat a large wok. Add the oil, swirling to coat the sides and bottom of the pan. Add the shrimp, ginger, and garlic and stir-fry about 2 minutes or until pink. Remove from the pan. Add the onions and peppers and stir-fry about 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add the sauce and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil, adding the cornstarch mixture. Return the shrimp to the pan and add the cherries, pineapples and green onions. Cook about 1 minute or until the sauce is thick.
- Remove from the heat and serve over rice.