If you want to know how to make sambar, here is an easy south Indian sambar recipe for you. Sambar recipe is very popular in south India especially among the young generation, which is taken as breakfast and can be used later as lunch or dinner. Andhra sambar recipe can be prepared in just 15 minutes. Let’s see how to make this south Indian sambar recipe at home.
Total Time: 35 Minutes
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Toovar Dal (arhar) – 3/4 cup
- Drumsticks (saijan ki phalli / saragavo) , cut into 3” pieces – 2
- Bottle Gourd (doodhi / lauki) cubes – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves – 6 to 7
- Asafoetida (hing) – 2 pinches
- Tomatoes, chopped – 1/2 cup
- Shallots (madras onions) – 8 small
- Tamarind Pulp (imli) – 2 1/2 tablespoon
- Sambhar Powder – 3 tablespoon
- Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 2 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander, finely chopped – 2 tablespoon
- Thoroughly wash the toovar dal and drain.
- Combine 2 cups of water and the washed dal in a pressure cooker. On medium sized pressure cooker, pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Before opening the lid, let the steam depressurize on its own.
- Using a hand blender, blend the dal till it is smooth; keep aside.
- In a deep non-stick pan, combine bottle gourd and the drumsticks with 1 cup of water. On medium high flame, cook for 4 to 5 minutes or till the vegetables are soft. Keep aside.
- In a deep non-stick pan heat the oil and add the curry leaves, mustard seeds and asafoetida and sauté for a few seconds on a medium flame.
Add the tomatoes and mix well. Cook on a medium high flame for 1 to 2 minutes (stirring occasionally)
- Add the cooked bottle gourd and shallots, tamarind pulp, cooked dal, drumstick, salt, sambhar masala, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and ¾ cup of water, mix well and bring to boil. Allow cooking for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium flame, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
The recipe is ready to serve hot.